Friday, March 22, 2013

The Eurasian Diaries: Finding Fresh Tofu



I'm half Chinese. I may not look it, but mother was born and raised in Hong Kong. A lot of what I consider comfort food is Chinese. No not P. F Chang style Chinese, but real ginger, sesame, garlic infused fresh veggies and steaming rice. AHHHH it makes me so happy to think about.

(Side note re PF Chang's - there is one literally right outside our apartment building in the Pearl. I don't trust it).

Coming from NY, we are spoilt with a large Chinatown and many Asian grocery stores to choose from. When TJ came here to interview, I took it upon myself to research to see if there was a Chinatown. I was happy to discover that there was! And it seemed like there were places to have dim sum too. However, when we moved, I started to see if I could find somewhere to get my supplies, and couldn't find any. This started to panic me a little, until by way of Yelp, I came across Anzen Hiroshi.

So I took a little bus ride over the river to the East and found this little Japanese grocery store. It was small but well stocked! I was quite pleased to find everything I needed to make Ma Po tofu - including a little bag of Szechuan peppercorns. You don't get much choice, but I was so happy to see Asian things I left with my Chili Bean Sauce in hand and a smile of my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment