Sunday, March 17, 2013

Yoga Pearl - How I keep sane from day to day.



As you know, we moved here because TJ was offered a new job, and they moved us. This meant that I had to quit my job in NY and move without any other offer of employment for me.

This might sounds like the dream of dreams. Let us set the scene quickly - you've been working a job in NYC for 2 years, you are not allowed out for lunch, you arrive its dark, you leave, its dark, you cram yourself into the miserable subway for half an hour to go to and from work, you hurry back to walk your dog (who is angry you have been gone so long), and then you watch television for 2 hours in a blur, eating something expensive in front of the TV, before you start the whole sorry business over again the next day. Living the dream eh!?

Ok, that perhaps the most negative spin I can put on it. It was a lovely job, with great co-workers, and we did some awesome stuff and all in all, I was sad to leave. But excited to as well. I have been struggling with this feeling that I have been wasting my life, and deviating from what makes me happy.

I get to spread my wings a little and re-learn what makes me tick. It's not working in the dark for 9.5 hours a day. It's nature, family, friends, creating things.

Back to yoga. I don't want this post to be some new-age nonsense about how I moved to Portland and FOUND myself. No, this is more like, So, you moved to Portland, and you are used to working 9.5 hours a day, now you are here in a strange city, you know no one, and your husband goes to work and so WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH YOUR TIME NOW???

This yoga studio is right in the heart of the Pearl district, and 3 blocks away from my apartment building. They also have the most amazing deal for new students. It's $50 for 30 days, and its all-you-can-yoga. This week, I have been going every day, and its

a) nice to have somewhere to go and something to do
b) exercise DUH and
c) have you ever tried heated yoga before? it's amazing!

At the risk of sounding like the afore mentioned hippy, its made me reach a new level of calm and brought my yoga practice to a new level of understanding. I'm addicted. It's great to have something productive to do that has so many benefits!

They also have a cafe with raw juices and kale/quinoa type lunch bowls, I have yet to try, but plan on it soon. Every time I come out of class I am starving hungry ...  and right opposite is a rather enticing burrito place ... so yea that happens some times...

No comments:

Post a Comment